Today has been like a marathon bake! I’m exhausted! Doesn’t help that I have a stinking cold. But I haven’t let that stop me, and it’s been so worth it.
A while ago, a friend at work asked me if I would be able to make a birthday cake for her twin brothers’ birthday this weekend. The spec she gave me was a Victoria sponge, but with toffee instead of jam, and decorated with fondant icing to represent the two brothers. One lives here in the UK, and the other lives in Australia, so she wanted something that reflected that. I hope she likes what I’ve come up with.
But although I will share a picture of my creation at the end of this post, today’s blog isn’t about that. I still needed to make some kind of goodie for our daily teatime treat. So, sticking with the toffee theme, I came up with these little toffee cupcakes!
I used a mix of sugars to give a deeper, more toffee-ish flavour to the cake. Then I mixed toffee sauce into the buttercream. It’s pretty darn sweet, but the brown sugar in the cake balances it out perfectly. I was going to pipe toffee sauce into the centre of each cake, but I was getting frazzled and, well, I forgot. But I think they may have been too overwhelmingly sweet if I had anyway.
Also, I am going to hold my hands up and say this – I haven’t made my own toffee sauce. I have no idea how, and I didn’t have the time. Mary Berry would be utterly ashamed of me. But hey, I’m not going to pretend to have skills that I just plain don’t have yet. Plus, I’m not well, so slaving over making toffee sauce did not sound appealing!
Anyway, these cupcakes. They are bite sized little morsels – the brown sugar stops them rising quite so much – and the super sweet icing paired with the dark toffee taste of the cake is a win. My hubby adores all things toffee and gives these two thumbs up. Just the simple change of adding brown sugar to the caster completely changes the cake. I think there may be room for improvement – but this blog isn’t just about my successes, it’s about my whole journey, and for these little guys, the adventure is just beginning.
- 170g butter or baking spread
- 170g self raising flour
- 3 eggs
- 87g caster sugar
- 87g soft dark brown sugar
For the icing
- 75g butter
- 200g icing sugar
- Approx 50g toffee sauce – but add to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and line a 12 and a 6 hole muffin tin
- Cream together both sugars and the butter until light and fluffy
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat into the mixture, adding a little flour each time to prevent curdling
- Sift in the rest of the flour and fold in
- Spoon into each of the cases and bake for 20-22 minutes. Leave to cool
- To make the icing, beat the butter until smooth, then add the icing sugar a little at a time. Add the toffee sauce at the end, a bit at a time, and taste until the preferred toffee flavour is achieved. Pipe onto cupcakes
And as promised, a picture of the cake for my friend: