So, this weekend my cousin came to visit. We had tickets to go and see McBusted in Birmingham, and despite being grown ups, married (in my case) and pregnant (in her case), we were embarrassingly excited! I mean, look at us.
But before heading over to Birmingham, I made us a little treat to keep us going. And at the request of the heavily pregnant one, they were chocolate cupcakes.
I didn’t want to make just any old chocolate cupcakes. I wanted these to be the best chocolate cupcakes I’d ever made (although Becky has been craving so much cake that I’m pretty sure she would have eaten cardboard if I put some icing on it). And despite my disappointing experiment earlier in the week, I bravely took up my wooden spoon and returned to the kitchen.
Well, I’m flipping glad I did, because these cupcakes are to die for.
I had originally planned to use a recipe I found online, but there were so many ingredients, it really put me off. I preferred having a lie in. So I used my classic chocolate cake recipe from this post as a base, and added melted chocolate and a little baking powder, and switched the white caster sugar for golden caster sugar. Simple, yet oh-so-effective. The combination of both cocoa powder and melted chocolate gives a really rich chocolatey flavour, and the addition of the baking powder just gives the flour a little helping hand to make sure the cases are super light and fluffy rather than going fudgey like a brownie. I also added cocoa powder to a half-batch of classic buttercream to make a velvety smooth cloud of deliciousness.
To finish off, I sprinkled the cakes with white chocolate stars to match the star patterned cupcake cases I used. Then we immediately scoffed one each. Nom.
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes 12 cupcakes
- 115g butter or baking spread
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 85g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 50g chocolate (I used milk chocolate, but you could use dark for an even deeper chocolate flavour)
- Half a tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp milk
For the icing
- 125g butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 30g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, and line a 12 whole muffin pan with cases
- In a bowl over simmering water, or in a microwave, melt the chocolate gently, then leave to cool slightly
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then beat in the eggs and the melted chocolate. Fold in the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Spoon into cupcake cases and bake for 20-22 minutes
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter until light and fluffy, then slowly add the icing sugar and cocoa powder and beat until smooth with each addition. Pipe onto the cakes, and decorate with chocolate stars, or any other sprinkles
Happy Sunday folks!